DS Diet Buddies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DS Diet Buddies

A forum for those on DS to share diet tips!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Tips on healthy food for dinner

Go down 
+3
wonderwoman
Starbuck
Flaxseed
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Flaxseed
Admin
Flaxseed

Tips on healthy food for dinner Empty
PostSubject: Tips on healthy food for dinner   Tips on healthy food for dinner I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 12:36 pm

Tips
Back to top Go down
https://dsdietbuddies.forumotion.co.uk
Starbuck

Starbuck

PostSubject: Re: Tips on healthy food for dinner   Tips on healthy food for dinner I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 8:27 am

I had a really great dinner recently that I found on vegweb.

It was a indian inspired chickpea dish called chole. I was going to make it with Quinoa but didn't have any so had cous cous on the side instead, it was really quick, easy and delicious.
http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=8873.0
Back to top Go down
wonderwoman

wonderwoman

PostSubject: Re: Tips on healthy food for dinner   Tips on healthy food for dinner I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 2:44 pm

I'm mostly eating a piece of chicken or fish with potatoes or rice and lots of veggies for my dinners but yesterday I made a tasty veggie curry. Yum!
Back to top Go down
Delilah

Delilah

PostSubject: Re: Tips on healthy food for dinner   Tips on healthy food for dinner I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 11:06 am

I make a lot of stir fries with chicken, prawns, or tofu. I also eat a lot of veggies because most of them are low calorie so you can eat a lot. Smile
Back to top Go down
peteh87

peteh87

PostSubject: Re: Tips on healthy food for dinner   Tips on healthy food for dinner I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 11:17 am

wats everyone having for dinner tonight? am going to finish the can of soup that i started earlier lol!
Back to top Go down
Delilah

Delilah

PostSubject: Re: Tips on healthy food for dinner   Tips on healthy food for dinner I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 12:02 pm

I'm having a stir-fry with chicken and a homemade sweet and sour sauce.
Back to top Go down
peteh87

peteh87

PostSubject: Re: Tips on healthy food for dinner   Tips on healthy food for dinner I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 12:03 pm

that sounds really nice, i love sweat n sour sauce!
Back to top Go down
Starbuck

Starbuck

PostSubject: Re: Tips on healthy food for dinner   Tips on healthy food for dinner I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 12:49 pm

Im having stir fry with tofu and veggies, It's really good if I do say so myself Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Irnbru32

Irnbru32

PostSubject: Re: Tips on healthy food for dinner   Tips on healthy food for dinner I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 1:02 pm

I have had wholemeal pitta pockets with a ton of veg - peppers, mushrooms, leeks, courgettes, cherry toms and some diced turkey breast - my youngest lad loved it too and so will add that on to the regular meal list. and have definitely managed my "5 a day"
Back to top Go down
Flaxseed
Admin
Flaxseed

PostSubject: Re: Tips on healthy food for dinner   Tips on healthy food for dinner I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 1:03 pm

ooh Star, how do you cook tofu because i got from some Morrisons a few weeks ago, cos it was half price (60p or something), so i chopped it up into pieces and put it in the freezer.

I have no idea what the best way is to cook it, or what to have it with! Any tips?? Smile

I had a vegetarian spag bol with veggie mince and vegetables. Not as nice without vast amounts of melted cheese on but never mind! lol. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
wonderwoman

wonderwoman

PostSubject: Re: Tips on healthy food for dinner   Tips on healthy food for dinner I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 1:28 pm

I had a tuna lime and coriander fishcake with a few new potatoes and lots of veg followed by a bowl of fruit and a low fat chocolate mousse Surprised)
Back to top Go down
peteh87

peteh87

PostSubject: Re: Tips on healthy food for dinner   Tips on healthy food for dinner I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 1:31 pm

that sounds nice
Back to top Go down
Starbuck

Starbuck

PostSubject: Re: Tips on healthy food for dinner   Tips on healthy food for dinner I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 1:33 pm

The main thing with tofu is you need to get all the water out of it before cooking. If you've frozen it, it should be easier just defrost it then get some kitchen paper and get the excess water out.

You can either just fry it in a bit of oil and it goes lovely and crispy around the edges. Or if you just cook it in no oil, it dosn't go crispy but tastes like scrambled egg. Both ways are lovely but obviously I don't tend to fry it too often.

Tofu is pretty tasteless really, so it's nice to marinade it a bit. I usually get all the water out then pour a bit of soy sauce and garlic paste over it. Leave to marinade for a while, then cube it up and stir fry it.

It also tastes great battered in sweet and sour sauce, but that is for very special occasions! lol!
Back to top Go down
Delilah

Delilah

PostSubject: Re: Tips on healthy food for dinner   Tips on healthy food for dinner I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 1:57 pm

I prefer the texture of tofu (the firm kind, not silken) once it has been frozen and then thawed out. I don't know why; but I just like it better.

Tofu doesn't taste of much on its own; but it picks up other flavours very well, so I agree with Starbuck that marinating is the way to go.
Back to top Go down
Starbuck

Starbuck

PostSubject: Re: Tips on healthy food for dinner   Tips on healthy food for dinner I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 2:02 pm

I prefer the firm tofu too- although you can make a mean chocolate mousse with silken Tofu.
Back to top Go down
Delilah

Delilah

PostSubject: Re: Tips on healthy food for dinner   Tips on healthy food for dinner I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 2:03 pm

Do you have a recipe? That sounds delish!
Back to top Go down
Starbuck

Starbuck

PostSubject: Re: Tips on healthy food for dinner   Tips on healthy food for dinner I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 2:15 pm

I just whizz up the silken tofu in my Vitamix blender, then add a melted bar of dark chocolate and whizz again. Then just put into ramakin's and chill.
If im feeling naughty I add some amaretto to it, gives it a nice kick.
Back to top Go down
Delilah

Delilah

PostSubject: Re: Tips on healthy food for dinner   Tips on healthy food for dinner I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 3:17 pm

Thanks! I'm going to try it!
Back to top Go down
Starbuck

Starbuck

PostSubject: Re: Tips on healthy food for dinner   Tips on healthy food for dinner I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 9:16 am

Hubby wanted burger and chips last night. So I made a nice veggie burger with some soya mince, onion and chilli flakes, and just cut some jacket's into chips and baked them with a bit of fry light on them. It all turned out really nice. I don't really like chips but thought they were nice, hubby and kids loved them too.
Back to top Go down
RAINBOWGIRL22

PostSubject: Re: Tips on healthy food for dinner   Tips on healthy food for dinner I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 3:21 am

Hey all,

Now I am back on my healthy regime I will be back to sticking to one golden rule... and that is to fill my plate up "correctly"

I will make sure that majority of the plate is either salad of veg, the next biggest portion will be protein and the smallest portion will be (brown or wholemeal) carbs..

I found in the past by following this rule I would always be full up after eating!!! Most salad stuffs and veg have very little calorific values (do check though) so you can have pretty much unlimited amounts...
Back to top Go down
wonderwoman

wonderwoman

PostSubject: Re: Tips on healthy food for dinner   Tips on healthy food for dinner I_icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 11:14 am

Quon sausages! Only 51cals! Smile
Back to top Go down
Flaxseed
Admin
Flaxseed

PostSubject: Re: Tips on healthy food for dinner   Tips on healthy food for dinner I_icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 3:17 pm

Another shout out for Quorn here, fillets are 100cals each!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tips on healthy food for dinner   Tips on healthy food for dinner I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tips on healthy food for dinner
Page 1 of 1