DS Diet Buddies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DS Diet Buddies

A forum for those on DS to share diet tips!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

How supportive is your partner? (or flatmates / family / friends?)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
RAINBOWGIRL22

How supportive is your partner? (or flatmates / family / friends?) Empty
PostSubject: How supportive is your partner? (or flatmates / family / friends?)   How supportive is your partner? (or flatmates / family / friends?) I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 5:30 am

I happen to live with a skinny minnie - in the 18 months we've lived together he's lost almost a stone and I've PUT ON a bit more than that!!

It's so bloody unfair LOL!!

He's pretty supportive, we work out together sometimes and he is actually looking to tone up and put on weight!!

However he can eat what he likes, never has to watch portion sizes etc... and our cupbords are full of crap (albeit crap he likes that I don't so I am not tempted!!)

I think he's a bit fed up of my constant whinging and moaning about it all (espcially as I am more tlak than action at the moment!!) and I must confess to being tres sensitive at the moment!

Does everybody else have a good strong support network??

Do you find yourself still cooking "normal" meals for your partner? What do you do if you have kids?

My BF does a very manual job so usually has a huge lunch and snacks during the day. He's happy with beans on toast in the evening but if I am making something he likes then he'll have that.

I am ashamed to say that until recently my portion sizes were the same as his (my justification being that I ate ery little in the days so needed a heart evening meal)
Back to top Go down
Irnbru32

Irnbru32

PostSubject: Re: How supportive is your partner? (or flatmates / family / friends?)   How supportive is your partner? (or flatmates / family / friends?) I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 10:51 am

My husband has a major amount of weight to lose, but no willpower. he still eats a lot of takeaways and I often sit with a sandwich or soup when he is tucking into a huge chinese. I do the majority of the cooking and there are some healthy meals that he loves but will basically will eat whatever is put in front of him lol - so he is gradually coming round but food is hard in the house - I have to really maintain focus and willpower. As one of my lads is on the autistic spectrum, I have always prepared a different meal for him so i can cook about 3 different meals at the same time. Since I have amped up the healthy lifestyle change, everyone is getting more healthy and are all eating more heathily now. I am really pleased with this as it must be rubbing off on them lol.

he is encouraging about my weight loss and tells me that he can see real definition in my body now and tells me every day how great I am looking. I also have my very own cheerleading team at my weekend job with my workmates as they see me every weekend and they are so encouraging and cheering every lb i lose as much as i am. My mum in law also piles on the praise now too, she can't get over the way my boobs look as with them shrinking they look much better and are more where they should be.

ps - my portion sizes were the same too - my lads are all a year apart and very competitive against each other so i always have to make portions exactly the same for all three so I always split any meal 5 ways exact - but have changed plate sizes and cook much less and still have a smaller portion myself now - so little changes and working away at it - I think they are encouraged by my example and are adopting a lot of the things i do - one of my lads has lost 3 1/2 stone, and my other lad is asking which is the healthier option when choosing food and is also trying to drink less fizzy drinks and more water. It seems to be that the whole family have been spurred on by my success so it makes me a bit humble that i am setting a good example Smile
Back to top Go down
stella100

stella100

PostSubject: Re: How supportive is your partner? (or flatmates / family / friends?)   How supportive is your partner? (or flatmates / family / friends?) I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 2:25 am

Wow Carol thats great - the whole family involved. I live with a lodger who doesnt "cook" she lives off tins and processed meals - I found out early on that if I buy stuff like beans or tomatoes in tins for a quick meal like beans on toast they would be gone when I got to the cupboard so I just buy ingredients now e.g mushrooms onions, peppers so she's actually done me a favour in one way because I am actually cooking my own meals now. I dont buy cheese because its gone when I get to the fridge - same with bread!! My fridge is full of her crap - on the good side its crap that I dont like (I hate sweet stuff - including chocolate and cream cakes)

My oven and grill are still broken so Im not tempted by cheese on toast or pasta bakes with a thick cheesey crust - Im using the George Foreman Grill which is a healthier option.

The downside is that sometimes when I get in from work I really dont feel like making a meal from scratch so I have been skipping meals - I've started overcooking now so that I can freeze stuff and just defrost (although I think Im going to be eating one particular chilli for the next year)

my new OH is a lanky sod who can eat what he likes although I cooked for him the other night and he loved it - I didnt tell him it was the really healthy chilli recipe either - he'd live off Scampi and Lemon Nik Naks if he could lol.

It is hard though sometimes when my lodger is sitting there eating a mega chinese takeaway or feeding her son massive meals with four slices of bread and butter and Im eating a jacket spusd and salad Sad
Back to top Go down
Irnbru32

Irnbru32

PostSubject: Re: How supportive is your partner? (or flatmates / family / friends?)   How supportive is your partner? (or flatmates / family / friends?) I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 3:18 am

the eating healthy sitting next to someone eating a massive chinese - i just think bleugh and am a bit smug that i am not piling that crap onto my arteries (and I just keep telling myself that as the aroma fills the room lol)
Back to top Go down
stella100

stella100

PostSubject: Re: How supportive is your partner? (or flatmates / family / friends?)   How supportive is your partner? (or flatmates / family / friends?) I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 3:38 am

I've tried the bleugh option although it's hard when they're tucking into spare ribs (my fave) - new OH has a passion for spare ribs and battered king prawns - although give him credit he doesnt order anything else so I allow myself 1 prawn and one rib - my treat as I know he'll polish off the rest and not leave it lying about in the fridge for me to nick later !!
Back to top Go down
Irnbru32

Irnbru32

PostSubject: Re: How supportive is your partner? (or flatmates / family / friends?)   How supportive is your partner? (or flatmates / family / friends?) I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 3:59 am

my downfall that i give into is when we have a mexican night - stand n stuff tacos with mince (lean of course and dry fried), chicken n veg tortillas and sometimes I manage not to have any doritos n salsa with melted cheese - but normally end up having a tiny bit of each -but i can't skip it altogether - i just adjust my calories for the week to make sure that i can have it as a life without mexican food isn't worth contemplating hehehe
Back to top Go down
stella100

stella100

PostSubject: Re: How supportive is your partner? (or flatmates / family / friends?)   How supportive is your partner? (or flatmates / family / friends?) I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 4:03 am

mmmmmmmmmmm havent done him a mexican yet - I cant as I have no oven / grill and you cant have a mexican without having the doritos melted cheese combo
Back to top Go down
wonderwoman

wonderwoman

PostSubject: Re: How supportive is your partner? (or flatmates / family / friends?)   How supportive is your partner? (or flatmates / family / friends?) I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 12:08 pm

I live with a flatmate who is irritatingly a size 8, eats lots of rubbish, drinks beer and does very little exercise. She 'doesn't see the point' in dieting as she's never had to so doesn't see why other people should. Its taken nearly 6 months to get her onside but now she can see a very visible change in me she is being more supportive. She even ask me how much I've lost each week, and compliments me Smile I still have kitchen cupboards filled with junk food though - very difficult not to scoff the lot!

My mum is less than supportive. I think she is taking out her own insecurities on me. She has spent years telling me how fat I am and rather than complimenting me now she says things like 'I suppose its an improvement' and reminds me about how fat I used to be!

Ho hum. I'm getting there!
Back to top Go down
Irnbru32

Irnbru32

PostSubject: Re: How supportive is your partner? (or flatmates / family / friends?)   How supportive is your partner? (or flatmates / family / friends?) I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 12:38 am

thtas great that your flatmate is commenting on the difference Smile - not so great about your mum, what a shame that she can't see what you are achieving in a positive light, but some people just have that negative outlook. I love my mum in law to bits but if she was given a bag of money she would complain about how heavy it was lol.
Back to top Go down
4angels

4angels

PostSubject: Re: How supportive is your partner? (or flatmates / family / friends?)   How supportive is your partner? (or flatmates / family / friends?) I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 1:14 am

It's good that your flatmate is supportive Wonderwoman, though it must be really hard with your Mum.
My Nan and her generation all used to say to my Mum 'Haven't you put on weight' everytime they saw her which really hurt her. I think this is what has caused her to yo-yo all her life.

I'm still trying to correct the unhealthy relationship with food that I have grown up with and it is really tough, almost impossible somedays. I can go from eating nothing to eating loads and finding a happy medium is really hard.

Hubby has decided this morning that he wants to lose some weight so I am quite pleased that it means he will not be tempting me with wine, crisps etc.

As a family we all eat different things so mealtimes are quite hard with about 3 or 4 different things being prepared!
Back to top Go down
wonderwoman

wonderwoman

PostSubject: Re: How supportive is your partner? (or flatmates / family / friends?)   How supportive is your partner? (or flatmates / family / friends?) I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 11:10 am

I don't know how you guys do it! I'm so glad I only have to cook for me right now!
Back to top Go down
Irnbru32

Irnbru32

PostSubject: Re: How supportive is your partner? (or flatmates / family / friends?)   How supportive is your partner? (or flatmates / family / friends?) I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 1:46 am

i have to add that at the moment - my husband knows i am trying not to stress about starting uni and am focusing on my weight for when i start and he is being extra supportive at the moment. he is checking that i am eating enough (as I am almost falling into the pattern of skipping meals) and not rolling his eyes when i get ready for the gym for what seems like the millionth time even though he is on holiday at the moment and wants to spend some time with me - so i just feel lucky that he understands how important it is for me at the moment.
Back to top Go down
4angels

4angels

PostSubject: Re: How supportive is your partner? (or flatmates / family / friends?)   How supportive is your partner? (or flatmates / family / friends?) I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 2:31 am

T'is really good he understands how important it is to you Irnbru!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
stella100

stella100

PostSubject: Re: How supportive is your partner? (or flatmates / family / friends?)   How supportive is your partner? (or flatmates / family / friends?) I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 4:28 am

You are lucky you have that kind of support Irnbru.

Im really lucky in that new OH will eat whatever I put in front of him - so I can cook mega healthy meals and he loves everything !!
Back to top Go down
4angels

4angels

PostSubject: Re: How supportive is your partner? (or flatmates / family / friends?)   How supportive is your partner? (or flatmates / family / friends?) I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 4:54 am

That does make it easier Stella if Igglepiggle will eat anything (I know he has changed his photo now hasn't he but I've got it in my head now lol!!)

My hubby isn't mad keen on quorn but will occasionally eat it if I do lasagne, chilli or cottage pie with quorn mince. Even if I do vegetable dishes instead of quorn he's not keen. I have to say he doesn't have as much meat as he used to and it is usually chicken or pork products (which is the only meat I ate before veggie), he used to have a lot of cheese toasties and white bread which would tempt me lol!! His portion sizes seem a bit smaller now and a lot more fruit is being eaten. Ironically though he is losing more weight and a hell of a lot quicker than me!!!

Last edited by 4angels on Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
stella100

stella100

PostSubject: Re: How supportive is your partner? (or flatmates / family / friends?)   How supportive is your partner? (or flatmates / family / friends?) I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 5:37 am

Igglepiggle Laughing I think he's been a fairly plain eater before me - ie just meat and veg dinners - as he'd never had chilli before and tried kippers for the first time last week . I cooked a chicken and bacon pasta dish at the weekend and he liked that too.

We did have cheese toasties yesterday ( Embarassed ) but I only ate half !

He seems to like my random cooking though - loved the soup!!

Typical that hubby is losing quickerm than you - bloomin men lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How supportive is your partner? (or flatmates / family / friends?)   How supportive is your partner? (or flatmates / family / friends?) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How supportive is your partner? (or flatmates / family / friends?)
Page 1 of 1