DS Diet Buddies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DS Diet Buddies

A forum for those on DS to share diet tips!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What to eat when you have "the hunger"?

Go down 
+2
hastalavegan
Delilah
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Delilah

Delilah

What to eat when you have "the hunger"? Empty
PostSubject: What to eat when you have "the hunger"?   What to eat when you have "the hunger"? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 12:44 pm

I'm due to start my period in the next few days and as usual, I have "the hunger". All I want to do is eat! It seems like no matter what I eat, I want more!

When you feel like this... what do you eat? I want chocolate and other comfort foods. I want macaroni and cheese, nachos, cheesecake and I can't have them! So... I am eating healthy things; but it's not working so I eat MORE healthy things which all adds up. In the end, I wonder if I would have been better off just having what I am craving!
Back to top Go down
hastalavegan

hastalavegan

PostSubject: Re: What to eat when you have "the hunger"?   What to eat when you have "the hunger"? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 2:39 pm

I tend to have 'lower fat' versions of what I want. Nacho's aren't too calorific if you just have a few crisps, make some refried beans with kidney beans and spices and top with salsa and guacamole instead of cheese. Maybe make a meal of it? That way you have something to look forward to throughout the day.

If you fancy pizza you could make pitta pizzas without the cheese. Just get some pitta breads, slap tomato puree on and lightly fry some veggies. Cook in a medium oven for 10 minutes. They work great as frozen meals/snacks. If you crave cheese top with avocado as it's a healthier alternative. Honestly cheeseless pizzas are ace and not too unhealthy.

There is a dairy free mac and cheez I've made that is ace. It's not just like cheese, but it's great comfort food. The recipe is here if you're interested and can be modified to be lower fat, such as using light coconut milk and use breadcrumbs without butter on. Nutritional yeast is found in independent health food shops or online (unfortunately holland and barretts don't sell it) and is super cheap and full of b vitamins. Great for sprinkling on soups.

Speaking of soups, perhaps make a large batch of a low fat veg soup and have that when you get hunger pangs or just fancy eating for the sake of it.

If I fancy something sweet I have a little bit of dark chocolate or something like popcorn, which aren't too bad. If I want to be really indulgent I'll make a fruit crumble. Just cooked some fruit with sugar and water, put in a tin and cover with a topping that is mostly porridge oats and seeds with a wee bit of flour, sugar and butter.

Other snacks are carrot sticks with hummus/salsa, fruit, a small handful of nuts/seeds or lowfat cookies/muffins I make.

Hope this helps somewhat!
Back to top Go down
http://www.hastalavegan.com
Starbuck

Starbuck

PostSubject: Re: What to eat when you have "the hunger"?   What to eat when you have "the hunger"? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 5:26 am

I had the same problem this week, so know all about it. I decided to give into my choccie craving a little and bought some of the weight watchers frozen deserts, I can highly recommend them.

Obvioulsy I don't want to get into the habit of having them all the time, but when you really need some choccie their great! The mint choc brownie thing is amazing and only 180cals 4g fat each.
Back to top Go down
stella100

stella100

PostSubject: Re: What to eat when you have "the hunger"?   What to eat when you have "the hunger"? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 4:08 am

I dont like anything sweet now, but when I did I used to make up batches of sugar free jelly.
Back to top Go down
Delilah

Delilah

PostSubject: Re: What to eat when you have "the hunger"?   What to eat when you have "the hunger"? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 11:40 am

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I did manage to make it through those few days without totally screwing myself. Thanks so much for the support.
Back to top Go down
Flaxseed
Admin
Flaxseed

PostSubject: Re: What to eat when you have "the hunger"?   What to eat when you have "the hunger"? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 1:39 pm

If you're craving crisps, Rivitas Mini's are a good idea, or Walkers baked are very good when you are having a craving.

If im craving some bread, i usually try to have a cinnemon and raisen bagel, theyre about 250 cals but low in fat and are so nice!!

my period is due on thurs so im feeling well bloated.... Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
https://dsdietbuddies.forumotion.co.uk
stella100

stella100

PostSubject: Re: What to eat when you have "the hunger"?   What to eat when you have "the hunger"? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 5:55 am

chop up a load of fruit then put it in the jelly - I used to love that. Dont know what prices are like where you are but I picked up a whole pineapple for 40p yesterday!!
Back to top Go down
wonderwoman

wonderwoman

PostSubject: Re: What to eat when you have "the hunger"?   What to eat when you have "the hunger"? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 2:01 pm

*has the hunger...and the bloating* Sad
Back to top Go down
stella100

stella100

PostSubject: Re: What to eat when you have "the hunger"?   What to eat when you have "the hunger"? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2009 5:11 am

Aw WW - hope you feel better soon. I'm just so tired I can hardly keep my eyes open!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What to eat when you have "the hunger"?   What to eat when you have "the hunger"? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What to eat when you have "the hunger"?
Page 1 of 1