DS Diet Buddies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DS Diet Buddies

A forum for those on DS to share diet tips!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Clothes!!!!!

Go down 
+2
stella100
4angels
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
4angels

4angels

Clothes!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Clothes!!!!!   Clothes!!!!! I_icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 2:26 am

Irnbru on the Weekly Weigh-in thread said: [I also feel I am old enough that I don't aim to fit into the latest fashion - but larger peoples clothing seem to be in two categories frumpy or inappropriate (why oh why are there so many tops with no sleeves? why do so many tops stop at the waist instead of skimming the hips?) the extreme is the matronly, floral and fussy shapeless stuff.

I thought clothes maybe needed a topic all of their own?!! Apologies if it is or has already been discussed elsewhere.

Irnbru - clothes are a problem for me too. I don't want to look frumpy but I don't want saggy bits on show either like fashion would dictate that I should do. Fashionable stuff as you say - is rarely cut correctly to be flattering and the rest is mainly old fashioned.
I hate buying clothes and hardly ever go clothes shopping, same with shoes - everything hurts my feet! I tend to wear dark things as I feel slimmer and cover up as much as possible!! Long cardis, tops etc. I've tried the catalogues for 'bigger girls' as well in the past but I find they can be expensive or poor quality (not tried them recently so they may have improved). I'm not aiming to look mega trendy, just nice would do!!! Very Happy

How does everyone else feel about clothes?

xxxxx

Last edited by 4angels on Mon May 11, 2009 5:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
stella100

stella100

Clothes!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clothes!!!!!   Clothes!!!!! I_icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 2:31 am

The only clothes that I have bough recently have been for work - I cant remember the last "going out" clothes I bought. I recently cleared out my wardrobe of clothes that dont fit and I literally have about three things in there!! I refuse to buy any new clothes though until I've got to goal !
Back to top Go down
Irnbru32

Irnbru32

Clothes!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clothes!!!!!   Clothes!!!!! I_icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 3:59 am

It is one of my bugbears - especially being short and fat - and as you say the likes of Evans i find that the clothes are generally either too old fashion or too sparkly and young but most are quite poorly cut and i feel like i wear the same few clothes that i feel kind of comfortable in - but ooh it bugs me as i am unhappy with my appearance as it is bad enough without knowing that the clothes could be better
Back to top Go down
4angels

4angels

Clothes!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clothes!!!!!   Clothes!!!!! I_icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 4:32 am

Sounds like we'll have to start our own fashion label Irnbru!!! Very Happy

xx
Back to top Go down
stella100

stella100

Clothes!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clothes!!!!!   Clothes!!!!! I_icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 4:41 am

The only place I've found bigger clothes with some style is Next
Back to top Go down
Irnbru32

Irnbru32

Clothes!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clothes!!!!!   Clothes!!!!! I_icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 5:07 am

I was a size 26 to 28 - I am at about a 22 at the moment - but still not quite there for high street stores - dont think i can shop in Next yet - maybe in a couple of months?

4angels - maybe you are right lol - I always know what i want to wear - I can just never find it -but would imagine you being a mum of 4 you would agree - not enough hours in the day to design and wear our own clothes line lol!
Back to top Go down
4angels

4angels

Clothes!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clothes!!!!!   Clothes!!!!! I_icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 5:49 am

Irnbru - We'll invent a few more hours in the day while were at it then Laughing

You would be able to shop at Next online/catalogue as they go up to 22 normal range and have a plus size 24-28. Big sizes tend to sell out quick though.
I used to buy the occasional item from them, but found them a bit short on bodylength on occasions and there was a lot of capped sleeves and colours that didn't suit my skin. This is a few years ago though and I suppose it depends on the fashion or season and we all suit different styles and colours as well.

My size can vary lots store to store, but if I went off my measurements and the average store's size guide I'd be about a 22, yet can fit anything from 16-20 depending on the shop and the style of clothing.
Back to top Go down
Irnbru32

Irnbru32

Clothes!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clothes!!!!!   Clothes!!!!! I_icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 6:06 am

yes I favour a 30 hour day and an 8 day week and then I may just get time to sit down for while and veg like a couch potato and read a book rather than take 3 weeks to get through a magazine.

I do get clothes on line from simply be - but i usually have to scour the whole site to get a few tops and end up sending half of it back - sometimes because I have ordered too big a size which is nice but often because of poor fit.

I tend to just buy plain tunic tops and live in my jeans and treat myself with new underwear - I love Asda's range as they are reasonably priced and some of them are really pretty.
Back to top Go down
Irnbru32

Irnbru32

Clothes!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clothes!!!!!   Clothes!!!!! I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 12:30 am

so much for having time to read a book - i have "to kill a mockingbird" sitting next to me and i have never opened the first page - i will maybe make a start on that tonight.

I got fed up with nothing fitting right and have ordered a few things from simply be so waiting impatiently for it to arrive. The things i am most excited about (ironically) is a really smart matching gym track top and matching bottoms - they so "look the part" and it will be great to wear something rather than the asda jersey trackies that are so baggy n scruffy looking. I have also ordered this gorgeous handbag that is going to be perfect for when i am at uni as it's a great size but so stylish. I just ordered each top in both the 20 n 22 and will just send back the one that doesn't fit so either way i will have something that does fit.
Back to top Go down
stella100

stella100

Clothes!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clothes!!!!!   Clothes!!!!! I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 2:04 am

oooooh good on you - I had a massive clearout (again) last night and have another bin bag to go to the charity shop. I finally have clothes hanging in the wardrobe that fit and it is sooooo good to have a choice of what to wear - although I do now have several empty drawers and.............I never realised until last night how many pairs of knickers I have !!!!
Back to top Go down
Irnbru32

Irnbru32

Clothes!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clothes!!!!!   Clothes!!!!! I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 6:20 am

hehe funny i was the smae when i did my purge last week but did find some bras which now fit me again lol - so result !! Smile - but hell yeah loads of underwear.
Back to top Go down
wonderwoman

wonderwoman

Clothes!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clothes!!!!!   Clothes!!!!! I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 11:31 am

Argh! Don't get me started on clothes. I have quite a bad relationship with clothes and will often buy a whole new outfit for a particular night out because I don't own anything that 'feels right'. That said I only really shop in Primark, New Look and Dorothy Perkins these days. I said in another thread that I'm getting annoyed with everything looking baggy and frumpy on me but I really must stop buying new things that fit given I want to lose more.

I'm not sure it gets any easier when you're skinny though! Back in the days when I was a size 10 (!) I hated that nothing catered for the fact that I had a mini waist but huge boobs and huge arse. My flatmate thinks I'm a weirdo because I don't wear jeans but I can't find any that fit properly. I still have a little waist (for my size!) and even bigger boobs and arse, but unfortunately the lycra t-shirt is not quite the friend it used to be! My uniform has become black leggings and dresses with a belt. For all occassions! Doh.
Back to top Go down
stella100

stella100

Clothes!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clothes!!!!!   Clothes!!!!! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 2:55 am

WW - I had the same problem as my boobs, although have shrunk, are not the same size as the rest of me unless the material stretches lol. I did the same thing as I was losing weight - I refused to buy new clothes as I knew I wanted to lose more - hence I spent about 9 months in baggy skirts and tshirts until I hit goal - I think I bought 1 pair of jeans as my old ones looked frankly ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Irnbru32

Irnbru32

Clothes!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clothes!!!!!   Clothes!!!!! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 3:17 am

i love clothes, and really want to wear clothes that will fit for me starting uni - my mum in law has said there's a sale at evans and has offered to buy me something - but i feel uncomfortable letting someone else buy clothes for me and normally the sale stuff is on sale for a reason, so worried about coming across as greedy and too fussy lol - i have ordered a couple of things from simplybe - but just a pair of jeans, some gym stuff and two tops. (and a gorgeous handbag) but half the time i end up sending the clothes back - internet shopping is a pain.

my mate gave me a couple of pairs of jeans that she has grown out of as she is on a healthy eating plan - but at the mo they can go on but don't look that good - i need to lose a bit more before they are comfortable - so i will have those in a few weeks time, but not sure if they will feel right for the start of uni so i got the pair of jeans from simplybe Smile
Back to top Go down
stella100

stella100

Clothes!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clothes!!!!!   Clothes!!!!! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 3:44 am

It's weird but although I can buy clothes now I'm still wary - I think it's because I hate shopping more than the fact Im worried about putting weight back on!!
Back to top Go down
Irnbru32

Irnbru32

Clothes!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clothes!!!!!   Clothes!!!!! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 11:16 am

I think you have proved now that you don't have to worry about putting the wight back on - it seems to have settled naturally Stella Smile

well the fave3 bra that i had from asda happened to be reduced to half price - so got the next size down for a paltry £ 3, how great is that? - and two tops another bra and matching set or knickers and a pair of jeans - all for under £ 20 quid - i love asda lol - evans had nothing at all i fancied - but scored at asda so quite happy Smile
Back to top Go down
Starbuck

Starbuck

Clothes!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clothes!!!!!   Clothes!!!!! I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 12:56 am

My mum say's I can have all of her fat clothes when she's lost the weight (she's so considerate don't you think Evil or Very Mad )
Back to top Go down
Irnbru32

Irnbru32

Clothes!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clothes!!!!!   Clothes!!!!! I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 1:43 am

aww Starbuck - what an awful thing to say to you - (((hugs))) - at least you are doing it the more healthy way and not getting a gastric band or something so you will be putting less stress on your body and getting fitter rather than getting invasive surgery - but still a tactless thing to say. Sad
Back to top Go down
stella100

stella100

Clothes!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clothes!!!!!   Clothes!!!!! I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 2:53 am

Well done on the Asda trip Irnbru - I can never be bothered to travel out to Asda as its the other end of the city to me.............. but Ive just realised that I do go down that end now as I have to pass it to pick him up Doh!!!

Starbuck - I think I would politely decline saying that theyre not going to fit you anyway because they will be too big. At least you are losing with the knowledge that in the future you can still go out for a meal and eat as much as you want and enjoy it rather than have a cupful of food - as Irnbru says you're doing it the healthy way and will still be able to eat "normally" - I dont personally agree with gastric bands but dont get me onto my soapbox on that one lol xx
Back to top Go down
Irnbru32

Irnbru32

Clothes!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clothes!!!!!   Clothes!!!!! I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 3:26 am

hehe Stella, I am the same about gastric bands -takes a step back from the soapbox too - each to their own eh Wink
Back to top Go down
stella100

stella100

Clothes!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clothes!!!!!   Clothes!!!!! I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 4:27 am

...........................and breathe !!!

Back on topic - now I know exactly what size I am at Next Ive just realised I can do my shopping online!! Woo hoo - hate shopping so this way can do it 1) in my own time as opposed to getting stressed and rushing round the shop 2) without having to go through the ordeal of the changing room!!!
Back to top Go down
Starbuck

Starbuck

Clothes!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clothes!!!!!   Clothes!!!!! I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 5:21 am

Just had an email from Evans telling me about all the different leggings they have.

Why would I want Leggings, Have they seen my legs???!!!
Back to top Go down
Irnbru32

Irnbru32

Clothes!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clothes!!!!!   Clothes!!!!! I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 12:48 am

hehehe i know Starbuck I think leggings only look good on a certain kind of build and i would never dream of been seen in them. This is really daft but I won't even stop off at the shops on the way to the gym as i won't go in tracky bottoms, i just feel too uncomfortable. I just don't think they should be seen outside the gym.

Its back to the opening post isn't it, Evans seem to have it all wrong. In saying that i did manage to get a couple of tops from Simplybe which are flattering so pleased with that Smile
Back to top Go down
stella100

stella100

Clothes!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clothes!!!!!   Clothes!!!!! I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 1:45 am

I've just started wearing leggings - but only under skirts or shorts - saying that I wouldnt have dreamt of even looking at them this time last year!!!
Back to top Go down
thumbandit

Clothes!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clothes!!!!!   Clothes!!!!! I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 6:10 pm

Littlewoods have got some decent mens stuff (which are now too big for me) wooo Smile

Maybe you will find the same for women ?!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Clothes!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clothes!!!!!   Clothes!!!!! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Clothes!!!!!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DS Diet Buddies :: DS Diet Buddies - Main Forum :: DS Diet Buddies-
Jump to: